Question
Posted by: Sam | 2005/01/06

Morning walks make my legs itchy

When go for a morning walk of longer than 20 mins, my thighs start to itch. If I relieve the itching, they start to burn and the skin gets relatively warm. What is the problem? Circulation? Allergy? What can I do to prevent/cure it?

Sam

hi Sam

I actually have to confess that I don't know the precise cause. What is unusual about your description is that your legs burn if you relieve the itching. This suggests maybe some allergy. It's not uncommon that the legs to itch slightly on exercise when you are not accustomed to it, and this is probably a side effect of circulation - remember that a lot of blood is going to the legs, and you are also generating some heat during exercise, and so you then need to sweat and this can also cause similar symptoms. there is often this sensation of 'prickly heat' when you get hot as a result of circulation or exercise, or both. I'm not sure conclusively that this is your problem. What i would suggest if you feel this problem is serious enough is that you see a doctor. It may be medically treatable, and then your problem is solved. I do have a feeling that it will gradually lessen in severity and maybe even go away eventually.

1
Posted by: Jess | 2005/01/06

Hi Sam I have the same, when I am on the treadmill. I believe that is a sign that what you are doing is working. I have no adverse effects after this itchy feeling. After a while it is all gone. I may be wrong, but I won't worry....just keep at what you doing

Reply to Jess