Question
Posted by: Jessie | 2006/11/07

Morning Sickness Please Help!!

Hi Gynaedoc

Please can you help me, I'm 7 weeks pregnant & have the most horrendous nausea and I don't know how I'm going to get through the next few weeks with this. I don't feel like eating and feel nauseous throughout the day, which means I'm constantly running to the bathroom in case I vomit. My husband bought me something called Emex for nausea, but it's so awful, I can barely swallow it. Please could you reccomend something which I can get without prescription from the pharmacy or anything I can do to alleviate this, it's awful.

Jessie

I hope that the other respondents have helped.

4
Posted by: Very happy mom | 2006/11/07

I am glad to hear that the ginger beer is helping. Its wonderful that you only crave healthy food. I never had any cravings, just made sure that I ate lots of fruit and veggies. For nice recipe ideas, go to: www . annabelkarmel . com ( without spaces ), she's got really nice recipes for preggie ladies as well as first foods etc for babies. Best of luck and take care of yourself!

Reply to Very happy mom
Posted by: Jessie | 2006/11/07

Thank you so much both of you ladies, I really appreciate it!

I've had some ginger beer today which seems to have helped me, and strangely enough doesn't taste as awful as i remember! (This baby has some strange tastes! I've gone completely off sweetner & ginger beer doesn't taste that bad anymore!)

Strangely enough, I feel amazing in the morning when I wake up & get out of bed, I'm sleeping better than I have in a long time, so there are many bonuses! I'm loving it generally, but nausea only sets in around 10am, and then usually lasts until the afternoon, but I'm feeling pretty good now :)

I won't worry too much about eating then, I'm pretty well "nourished", hoping baby will burn away a few kilos while I'm at it! It's strange though, I haven't wanted to eat chocolate or rubbish since I found out I'm preggers, when I do want to eat, i just want good, healthy meals - is that normal?

I have so many questions, thank you so much for your help! This is all new to me and I'm so excited and just want to be as healthy as I can be for my little bean (without the morning sickness) ;)

((hugs))
Jessie

Reply to Jessie
Posted by: Very happy mom | 2006/11/07

Hey Jessie. Although its called morning sickness, it's not unusual for nausea to go on all day. Don’t worry unduly if you feel too sick to eat very much. Provided you were well nourished beforehand, your baby will draw on your reserves. Eat little and often because your nausea will feel a lot worse if you have an empty stomach. Ginger is a renowned natural remedy for nausea. Try ginger beer, ginger biscuits or use it in cooking. You can make fresh ginger tea by thinly slicing ginger root and pouring boiling water over it. Let it brew for a few minutes. You can add a little honey if you like. Try eating plain crackers or dry cereal before you get out of bed and get out of bed slowly. Plain carbohydrates like rice cakes, dry toast or dry cereal can be helpful especially first thing in the morning before you get up when your blood sugar level will be at its lowest. Carbohydrates like these are slow burning foods, which prevent your blood sugar dipping and help ease nausea. Dehydration is the biggest danger of morning sickness so make sure you drink plenty of fluids like water, fruit juices, milk or herbal tea – peppermint, ginger or camomile tea can be soothing. Take naps during the day. Tiredness plays a big part in morning sickness. Try acupressure wristbands – these stimulate an acupressure point on your wrist which can help relieve nausea. And most of all, when you are feeling at your worst, try and think of the miracle growing inside of you. My daughter is almost 7 months old and I am completely in love with her! It is going to be the roller coaster ride of your life!

Reply to Very happy mom
Posted by: shame | 2006/11/07

i also had awful sickness with my little boy, heartburn galor and all that seemed to help was marie cookies and energade, yes you gain weight, but hey you do so anyhow since your pregnant, but it really helped me

Reply to shame