Question
Posted by: Dec | 2007/07/23

Morning Phlem & short breath

Hi ,
Im a smoker now for the past 3 yrs , age 22 .
started having problems of excess phlem in the throat , usually yellowihs/transparent coloration.
specially in the mornings when i get up first thing i cant take a nice deep breath.. without coughing and clearing up the throat.
after a hot coffee i can breathe normally again and i have no cold or no fever...
been happening for quite some days now .. i've been trying to quit smoking , now really freaked out!
DO YOU THINK I'VE GOT LUNG CANCER?! im too scared to get to the doc. i'm reducing it gradually , smoked usually 10 a day not cut down to 3-4 and still cutting down.. im just scared u know.. and now im just trying to toally kick this damn nicotine off my systems.. could you please tell me whether these are symptoms of lung cancer?! a big conclusion yes , but im just scared you see :(
Appreciate your reply in this regard.
Dec

Dear Dec

Thank you for visiting health24.com.

I really think that the cause of your symptoms is your smoking. Please remember that when you quit smoking, these symptoms will persist after a couple months. I suggest that you consult a GP to have a chest x-ray done, in order to exclude lung cancer and to set your mind at ease. If you have trouble in quitting, you can also ask him about Zyban (this drug can assist in smoking cessation).

Kind regards