Question
Posted by: kat | 2007/05/10

morning after pill

hi would you say taking the morning after pill is the same as having an abortion?

Interesting ethical, moral and theological debate, but not one in which I would seek to impose my views ( not today, at any rate !)

22
Posted by: John | 2007/05/11

But isn't that the whole point of the morning-after pill? It is exactly for the reason that you do not know. So, sure, the pill may have nothing cause a miscarriage over and if this is the case there is no pregnancy. But, of course, if fertilisation has occurred and the woman is pregant, then an abortion will be the result.

Reply to John
Posted by: CJ | 2007/05/11

John
If that is the case - what if the sperm never reaches the egg because of the morining after pill, as the pill throws the cycle out thus the sperm never reaching the egg ... were is the abortion now.. just like a condom has stopped..the sperm the pill has stopped the the sperm from reaching the egg and causing fertilization..!

Reply to CJ
Posted by: Jessie | 2007/05/11

When you take a morning after pill you don't even know that you have concieved or not so what's up with the abortion story. You take a pill to prevent something you are not sure about. How long does it take for a person to concieve, and a pill is taken within hours so a person won't know whether they are preggies or not.

Reply to Jessie
Posted by: Gel | 2007/05/11

John!!! My God you are so enlightning and intense with your explanations. I feel guilty when I realise I have taken the morning after without thinking twice!

It is always a pleasure to have a taste of your thoughts.

Reply to Gel
Posted by: Echelle | 2007/05/11

Wow John, you're actually right!

Reply to Echelle
Posted by: John | 2007/05/11

Jskr

To set the record stright and to quote correctly from my earlier posting "The new, young foetus is not a 'thing', it is not simply a formless and shapeless mass of aimless cell division that will one day be a human being".

A mole, whatever else it may be, is indeed a mass of living cells but it is not a foetus. It is not destined to be an adult one day so the comparison is without foundation.

Reply to John
Posted by: jskr | 2007/05/11

"The morning-after pill terminates the pregnancy as it causes a spontaneous miscarriage. To all intents and purposes, it is an abortion. The new, young foetus is not a 'thing', it is not simply a formless and shapeless mass of aimless cell division that will one day be a human being. It is alive, wondrously so, and it is baby in the very earliest stages of development. He or she has life, and has had from the second of conception."

If in the same path of thought, then "removing a mole" would for instance also be considered abortion, as it is a mass of living cells....

Reply to jskr
Posted by: John | 2007/05/11

I've never really had a view on abortion, one way or the other. Until recently that is. I watched a highly informative TV programme on the Discovery Channel about the development of the foetus, from conception to birth.

When does life begin? Some people think that it begins when the the foetus develops a heart and it begins to beat. From a religious viewpoint, some have the view that life truly begins at the 'quickening' - the baby's first movements - or perhaps at the time when a baby is thought to have a soul.

When conception occurs, the fertilzed egg begins to divide at a furious and awe-inspiring pace. A veritable explosion of life. The mother is pregnant at that time, pregnant with the new life of a baby. This has nothing to do with whether I am being pro-abortion or not but rather with the fact life occurs with inception, from the outset.

The morning-after pill terminates the pregnancy as it causes a spontaneous miscarriage. To all intents and purposes, it is an abortion. The new, young foetus is not a 'thing', it is not simply a formless and shapeless mass of aimless cell division that will one day be a human being. It is alive, wondrously so, and it is baby in the very earliest stages of development. He or she has life, and has had from the second of conception.

Reply to John
Posted by: Lala | 2007/05/10

Yes in my opinion it is the same - how can you sleep with a guy and not take responsibility for your actions. Condoms and other contraceptives are FREE - so use them or keep your legs closed!!!!

Reply to Lala
Posted by: Lady man | 2007/05/10

do not open your legs in the first palce.

Reply to Lady man
Posted by: Echelle | 2007/05/10

Or maybe just a fact of life...

Work? Eish, same old job with the same old selfish bosses, but hey, still applying for almost every job :-) What job did you say you are doing? Redocariting people's homes and designs, can't remember? I'm thinking about studying for a Quantity Surveyor's Assistent, that will atleast get me somewhere...

Reply to Echelle
Posted by: kat | 2007/05/10

all in good time

you know i cant understand why people cant just be honnest with themselves. we all do it we lie to ourselves all the time about what we want, i think its coz we are brought up with the thinking that things are expected of us and then we actually dont have a clue who we realy are.

anyway thats just my phsyco babble for now. how is work going? for me its going and hopefully will continue to go and flow. life realy is good when you just stop to smell the roses.

Reply to kat
Posted by: Echelle | 2007/05/10

Yes it's funny, if only everyone realizes it! Or actually most of us know that, but too stupid to let go...

No, I thought about moving there anyway, but it will have to wait.

Reply to Echelle
Posted by: kat | 2007/05/10

sorry to hear that its over but that is wonderfull news glad you are doing well.

funny how its hard to let go until you actually do. you never did move up here hey?

Reply to kat
Posted by: Echelle | 2007/05/10

Oh my goodness, I just read this: “Some women think of the morning-after pill as a contraceptive, but it’s actually a DIY abortion method,” said gynaecologist Michael Sangweni - OEPS!!!!! :-/ But I think it's his opinion, there's no heart beat at all the next morning! It takes longer than that for a heart beat to exist.

Because taking the morning-after pill throws women’s menstrual cycles off balance, they no longer know when they are ovulating, etc.

I'm doing great, thanx Kat. Babies dad is no longer part of me and I'm totally STRESSFREE!

Reply to Echelle
Posted by: kat | 2007/05/10

hey girl im fine how are you. no i havent taken it and if i needed to i wouldnt feel guilty about it, it was just a chat i had with a friend.

life is treating me ok whats been happening with you? i hear what you are saying about the pill thing, and i have to agree with you. how does it stuff with a womans body?

Reply to kat
Posted by: Echelle | 2007/05/10

There's a big difference between preventing something, but it's better just to use a condom or the everyday pill, because the morning after pill can ruin a woman's body!

Did you take the morning after pill Kat and now you feel guilty or where did this come from? How are you by the way?

Reply to Echelle
Posted by: Echelle | 2007/05/10

Morning after pill - taking away the possibility of life, not taking a life

Abortion pill - a new life is already there and the life is taken

Reply to Echelle
Posted by: kat | 2007/05/10

i know its not the same pill. i asked the question rather directly.

lets see, some people would consider taking the morning after pill the same as an abortion, due to the fact that you are preventing a life. whether its a life already there or a life still being formed there. same thing. just wanted general feed back coz you are still getting rid of the posability of life taking the matter into your own hands so to speak. honnestly i dont see it as the same thing but i just see how some are against contraception would this be the same thing then thats all thats all im asking.

Reply to kat
Posted by: Hello.. | 2007/05/10

..an abortion pill is NOT the morning after pill. they are two completely different things.
whats your story anyway?
what do you really wanna know?

Reply to Hello..
Posted by: kat | 2007/05/10

only asking coz you can have an abortion by taking a pill. they dont always pull it out of you, you can take a pill that brings the baby down.

therefor swallowing a pill is the same thing. besides when would you call it a feotus then, only when it has a heart beat, that in itself is debatable when they cant even determain the exact time the heart beat starts.

Reply to kat
Posted by: Hell no! | 2007/05/10

heavens NO!!!! taking a pill and swallowing it? the same as opening your legs and having doctors use tools to physically remove the feotus?! CHILD???!!!! Where you from?!

Reply to Hell no!