Question
Posted by: Worried | 2005/05/25

Morning after

My partner and I got careless and we didn't use any protection- I know it was irresponsible and dagerous.. after 32hrs I too the first two pills of the "morning after", then I forgot to take the other two after 8hrs, so I took them 24 hrs later. Will they work?

They will not be as effective as if you had taken them correctly.

6
Posted by: Bobz | 2005/05/25

Hi Worried,

It sounds like falling pregnant now wouldnt be a good thing, for u... and I hate to be a prophet of doom, but the risk of u being pregnant is very real.

I fell pregnant under the same circumstances, 20 weeks ago. Initially, I was distraught.. so I can safely guess how ur feeling now...

I'll be praying for u, let us know

Reply to Bobz
Posted by: Worried | 2005/05/25

Thank you, again, for your help. I'll just have to wait and see what happens... Keep well ladies.

Reply to Worried
Posted by: Science | 2005/05/25

If you were on day 11, it could have been near ovulation, depending on the length of you cycle. Most women with 28 day cycles ovulate on day 15 after the start of your period, but it could be sooner. Sperm can live in the reproductive tract for up to 5 days, but more likely for only 3 days. So you might just have just been safe, simply from where you were in your cycle. I'm afraid that the morning after pill you took probably didn't work because you took the second tablets too late, and its only 75% effective as is. So just keep a watchful eye on what happens. Unfortunately I know of at least 3 women who fell pregnant after taking the first morning after pill more that 24 h after intercourse. I wish you the best of luck!!!

Reply to Science
Posted by: Worried | 2005/05/25

Thank you guys for your help. I didn't feel any nauseous after taking the pill... and to answer Science- I was on the 11th day since the first day of my previous period. Do you think it'll affect the functinality of the pill?

Reply to Worried
Posted by: Science | 2005/05/25

Dear Worried

You could be ok, but there is a chance that it wouldn't have worked. If you skip you next period, or have a very light and short period, you should do a pregnancy test. The morning after pill becomes less effective the later you take it after intercourse. Where in your cycle were you when you had the 'mistake'?

Reply to Science
Posted by: L | 2005/05/25

I think so, I had to take it 11 hours apart. How are you feeling? I was nauseous for a day.

Reply to L