Question
Posted by: Wondering | 2008/05/22

More Water intake = more cellulite????

Hi Doc,

Medical research and everything has shown that insignificant water intake is the cause for cellulite and appartently not fat...well that is one of the articles here on this site. But now that makes me wonder why is it that the moment i start to drink alot of water say normal 8 glasses per day my cellulite actually starts flaring up...(well more noticeable) When i stop drinking water and only drink maybe a glass a day then it almost "disapear" again?? Not going away but it is not that noticeable???

Please help

Dear Wondering
It is important to understand that the adult human body does need 2,5 litres of liquid (water, coffee, tea, juices, milk, etc) per day to keep you healthy. After all nearly 70% of the body consists of fluids. So if you try and restrict your liquid intake to less than 2,5 litres per day, then you may develop dehydration which can cause damage to organs like the kidneys and when it reaches a level of 20% of the body fluid, it can be fatal. Thus I would recommend that you make sure that you do ingest 2,5 l of liquid (not just water) a day. If you drink too much water, this can cause a condition called 'water intoxication' and lead to so-called electrolyte imbalances. Thus it is vital to be moderate in how much water you drink in addition to your other liquid intakes over the day. I presume that your cellulite is less noticeable when you are in a semi-dehydrated state, but this is not the solution. I have written an article on cellulite which you can access by clicking on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'DietDoc's articles and reading article 137 "The Lowdown on Cellulite". You can also try targeted exercises for those problem areas, but it is important to persevere. There are also certain products that also help for cellulite. You can contact Lilian Terry International at (021) 361-2606 and ask about their Cellulito Aromeopathic Complexes. If you still find that nothing helps for the cellulite then you could consult a cosmetic surgeon.