Question
Posted by: high moral value | 2007/05/29

moral values in todays youth

Just want some feedback to find out if I'm the only woman who is horrified with what the information age has done to moral and family values in peoples lives generally.You read daily of marriages falling apart because of MXit and Internet pornography (i"m currently dealing with this) What happened to the good old days of SCOPE magazine and teenagers being exposed to lust at the correct age, not at an age where they should still be interested in sport and outdoor activities. I am not a christian so I'm not doing the Bilble punching. I am the Mom to two boys, one 8 and one 13 and because of AIDS and the likes I felt it was only correct to be open and inform my eldest son of facts of life in full details. He was not even embarresed as his friends have accessed internet pornography and so has his Dad my son found his stash).It seems to me like the scourge of humanity. Before Internet men could fantasise and maybe get a magazine to drool over, now its in our face and it still demeans women to be sex objects in the eyes of the male population. i am trying to raise to young men who will reapect females and not think we have only one purpose in life-sex (besides being personal slaves to men!. I am attractive,clever and self confident and if I had no morals I could go and break up a marriage like some females who continue to demean the women who have morals, but I am a resposible adult who decided to have children and am responsible to raise them in a manner which will teach them self respect.

,,,,,

2
Posted by: Chelle | 2007/05/30

Once upon a time, the SCOPE magazine was seen as the scourge of society - now it's the good old days.

I don't believe that morals have changed because of the internet and things like mxit. The reason the net is filled with porn sites is because there was a demand for it to start off with. Sex has always sold - it's just been done in different ways as technology has changed. The "immorality" was there before, but people just didn't have such easy access.

Maybe the information age, has highlighted how much sex can actually influence life and the decisions people make. I think people have chosen to ignore this aspect. It's much easier to blame the "tools" out there, than your parenting skills or your husband's infidelities (I'm not saying that you are doing this - but just that some people do).

Years ago, husbands came home late from work and wife had no option but to believe he was at work. Nowadays with cell phones, life has changed, and it's easy to give him a call and find out things that he might not want you to know, from the itemised billings etc.

For me the information age has highlighted that given the opportunity, people will do all sorts of things they say they won't do - especially when they think they're "anonymous"

Reply to Chelle
Posted by: Shae | 2007/05/30

No, you're not the only one who thinks this.

In fact, for the very reasons you describe above (and so many other sick society characteristics), i am contemplating not having kids. Dont want to bring anyone into this mouldy vicious world.

In fact, just yesterday on this very forum i was contemplating how on of the posters (a maried woman) could think it ok to set up a private email account so she could privately chat with one of the male posters - i dont even think she realised her double standard as she very often reminds him of his gf when he chats to other female posters but doesnt seem to remember that she has a husband.

Anyhow, thats the world we live in. I have forced myself to become more patient because people just dotn care about things like integrity and honesty and courage anymore - not when it stands in the way of personal or perverse gain.

To be honest, i have often wondered if i wasnt mistakenly born to the wrong era.

Reply to Shae