Question
Posted by: Andrew | 2004/10/11

Moody after exercise

Thank you for the response to my query regarding my depression after exercise.

I spoke to my GP about the problem, who said I have a sinus problem which causes pressure in my ears, which in turn gives me low blood pressure. That is probably why I'm moody after exercise.

Simultaneously I feel very energized after exercise, which is why I often can't sleep. A few beers does the trick, though. You win some and you loose some, because the low blood pressure gives me very good endurance. I also smoke, which I think is half the problem, but I'm rather at a loss how to quit.

HI Andrew

I'm glad my answer seems reasonable, it was a speculative one because as i said it is an unusual complaint. The feeling of being energized after training is very common and many people, including myself, can't sleep after training and that's why it's probably better to allow a few hours at least. I know from experience that training at 6pm means sleeping at 11 pm at the earliest, it's just too difficult to sleep any earlier. There are reasons for this, all related to how the body prepares for exercise, and it just takes time to 'wind down' after wards.

As for the smoking, if you are serious about quitting, I would speak to the GP again, and find out what he has available. These days there are many patches, gums, and other methods to gradually 'wean' you off the addiction. The other option is cold-turkey - just stopping but that's really not easy and so I would use whatever is available in the form of these gums and patches.

1
Posted by: Desert Rose | 2004/10/11

Dear Andrew

The only way to quit smoking is to go cold turkey. You need to mentally prepare yourself and set a date on which you will quit. It is hard but if you stick to your guns you can do it. I have smoked for the best part of thirty years and it has been three years since my last cigarette.

Reply to Desert Rose