Question
Posted by: Andrew | 2004/10/07

Moody after exercise

Does anyone answer these question? I don't see any answers posted in the forum.

I feel slighty confused and often very depressed after exercise. I also find hard to sleep or concentrate on anything after a run or weight-lifing session. What could be causing it and what can I do about it? Even moderate cardio has the same effect.

Hi Andrew

I do answer the question - just been at a conference lately, and it wasn't possible to get the answers from there, so sorry for the delay. However there is a 48 hour guarantee period on questions being answered, so I hope you can tolerate this one being a day late!

It's a strange query, because many people find the exact opposite - euphoria and a good mood after training. The actual causes are quite complex and I won't go into them, but they involve certain chemicals in the brain, and it's possible that this is your cause. Proving that is a real mission though. More likely is that your are either depleting blood glucose (because you say you are confused) or your blood pressure is lowered during exercise. This could possibly result in feelings of confusion, perhaps light-headedness, which is sometimes perceived as being moody or depressed, I'm not sure. It's a difficult one to answer. Two things to try are 1) drink something like Energade or eat soon after exercise, and 2) try easier exercise, it may be that you are overdoing the intensity, and this has added up over the weeks to make this occur. One of the symptoms of overtraining is depression, and so this is possible.

I hope this helps you in some way