Question
Posted by: El-Jo | 2003/03/24

Moods

Dear Cybershrink
When does one have to get concerned that your mood might be getting a little bit too high? At the moment it feels as if I can scarcely sit still for a second and my skin feels as if it too tight for my body. I have all this energy and I don’t know how to get rid of it.

Dear El-Jo,
Obviously, it's had to tell from a distance ! But it sounds possible, as you describe it ( and, just like depression, a doctor can help wih this ). Typical features of a Hypomanic Episode ( as we'd call it if it became a serious problem ) are : one's mood is elevated, which is nice, but one can also be unrealistically excessively optimistic, with one's judgement impaired, so one may form grand schemes that seem destined for glory, but which come to pieces rather easily ) ; feeling grandiose and awfully important, feling like one doesn't need much sleep ( maybe feeling fine after only 3 hours of sleep in a day ) ; being much more talkative than usual. feeling like one's thoughts are racing, so one hasn't finished the last thought before racing on to the next ; being easily distracted by rrelevant, small things ; getting agitated, and iritable, can't sit still, and getting much more active, perhaps socially or sexually, or at work or studies ( over-doing it ) ; and getting involved in activities that feel good at the time, without thinking through the consequences which might be awful.
As in most psych conditions, one grows concerned if the disturbance, whatever it is, starts to interfere with your ability to functon effectively, socially or in work ; and if this persists for much of the day, most days, for several days in succession.
While a downswing in mood feels awful, so one may think of seeing a doctor to check on it ; going up in mood may feel great, even if it's not necessarily good for one, and one may choose not to seek help or advice.
Of course, the other possibility, if the above signs are not really present in your situation, is just a feeling of grand relief as a depression has lifted, leaving a marked contrast between one's mood then, and now.