Question
Posted by: al | 2004/03/07

moodex and antidepressants

I am currently on Emdalen 70mg twice daily for depression. Can I take Moodex herbal caps as advertised on your site at the same time?

al,
I have never heard of Moodex ( sounds like a former cow !) so i can't really authoritatively advise on this, and would not recommend it's use. HOWEVER, I can say this
(a) NO herbal or similar product has ANY good evidence that it helps with any form of mood disturbance such as depression, except for St John's Wort, which does seem to be effective in some cases of MILD depression, and which works in much the same way as does Prozac.
(b) Just as, with rare exceptions planned by a consultant psychiatrist, one would NOT be wise to take two different antidepressants at the same time nor would this be necessary ) and similarly, I would not advise taking any herbal product at the same time as and medical antidepressant like Emdalen. Herbs are like dirty drugs, because they often contain hundreds of different chemicals rather than one, and often few if any of their hundreds of chemicals have been adequately ( or at all ) tested for effectiveness and safety on thjeir own, let alone in combinatiopn with other chemicals.
So I'd stick to the Emdalen, and if after a few weeks it does not seem to be sufficiently doing the trick, see your doctor again, for re-assessment and the possible prescription of a different antidepressant, instead of, rather than as well as, the original one.