Question
Posted by: Cindy | 2008/01/30

Mood

My daughter is almost 10 years old. She started Gr 4 this year. My fiance's daughter (age 8) moved in with us the middle of last year. She is now going to the same school and everything. Last year they played nice. They still play together and do things together, but sometimes they fight like mad. That's still fine, sisters do that. My problem is that since the start of this year my daughter started being very moody and negative. In the evening when I sit with her with her homework, she will take the pencils and through it away and tell me she HATE this work. She will tell me she hate school work. She will cry for no reason at all. She was never like that, she was always a good learner and loved her schoolwork. My parents stayed next door to us for years. They moved the end of last year. Where she normally would see them everyday she only speaks to them on the phone and see them once every week or two weeks. Please help me. What am I suppose to do? I am also struggling with the other child as I feel that she is in the way. I know I am not suppose to feel that way. Is my daughter going through a stage or should I take her to a psychologist?

Presumably she is missing her grandparents. Have you talked calmly with her about what is upsetting her ? Have you spoken with her teachers at the school, to see if they have noticed anything relevant and if they might have any advice ? I may be useful to take her to see a child psychologist, and the school may be able to recommend someone good nearby