Question
Posted by: kitty | 2007/08/13

monster taking over my child

I'm so sad and angry at the same time. i'm a stay at home mom of two boys,aged 7 and 4. My husand went overseas for 5 days on a business trip and i couldn't go because my 7 year is attending school. As from 4 days ago,his behaviour changed so much that i do not regonise my own child. He refuses to do homework,to eat or to take a bath. He started to yell and hitting me with a toy when i asked him to take a bath.He even started to bite me and his younger brother.You would say that he misses his dad,but he does this type of behaviour when his father lefts the door in the mornings. It is getting worse by the day and i went to my doctor today and he told me that i have developed such high bloodpressure he is afraid that i will get a hartattact.I do not know what to do anymore....that is such a understatement!!!! I've tried everthing. I'm calm,try to sweettalk,but nothing seems to make a difference. Taking his stuff doesn't even bother him. Punishment makes no difference.
My other child is bliss. His friendly,gives huges and kisses and is a joy to have. What have i done wrong with the other child. I never try to play one child off against the other and love them equally.I just want my lovely seven year old back!!Please!!!

Take medical treatment for you high blood pressure, including some personal counselling to help you to calm down better --- and see the psychologist to plan a specific way of reacting to the boys' awful behaviour, so that he learns to behave properly ( like Supernanny and Litle Angels on DSTV Channel 40 ).
Don't assume that you have done anything wrong with this child, something different is at play here. Why not recognize all that you have done right with the other boy, indeed with both of them.

2
Posted by: kitty | 2007/08/15

Thank you all!!!!A teacher suggested i should test him for ADD.She apparently told my husband so a few months earlier,but he never discussed it with me.Well i will have him tested just to be sure. I'm very worried.

Reply to kitty
Posted by: Hope | 2007/08/14

I think he is expressing some agression toward your husband's leaving. And even though you say you try to be fair with both children, he may be a bil jealous and feel left out when you are getting the hugs and kisses from your younger child, and he feels alone, especially with daddy gone. His actions might be to trigger a response from you, for sometimes children just want attention, be it positive or negative. Maybe you could arrange a time to spend one on one, doing something fun, and making him feel really special and loved. It is upsetting when our children show such disrespect and easy to feel like you are failing. Talk to your child. Let him know that you and daddy love him. It's also a possibilty that something else could be going on and he really needs to talk to you, perhaps something at school or somewhere else he's been has upset him, and he doesn't know how to react to that. Children are very sensitive. I am sure that you are a good mother and that you will get it under control. Sudden change is often stressful to many people and this could be having an impact on your child. He could be scared or feeling insecure about some things. Just reassure him that he is very special and offer him love, hugs and kisses, as much as you can. I wish you the best

Reply to Hope