Question
Posted by: Which one? | 2004/01/26

Money Vs Happiness???

hi ppl

Up to what point should one be greatful for having a job? Where do you draw the line?

I earn a good salary but I'm so unhappy that I cry every night when I get home. I get Spasms in my back, headaches and recently developed Irritable Bowl Syndrome due to stress (from my work).

I always knew that deadlines will be part of my job. It's not that. It’s the company that I work for. Here I'm just a number. When I work overtime everyday for 3 weeks I don't even get a thank you but when I'm 15 minutes late I get told that I have an attitude problem.

I hate every minute of it. In the mornings I wish that I can rather die than to go to work. It's because I can't be creative at work. I'm the only Designer here, and with 5 years experience and excellent skills, I should know by now what to do and not to do. But my boss, who is so old he can be my Gran father & knows nothing from art - tells me everyday "how" to design. I have to follow templates now. This is not why I studied design in the first place.

I have been looking for another job for over 6 months and can’t find anything. I’m either too expensive or too experienced. What’s it worth? To carry on just to be able to pay rent etc…

What’s more important, Money or Happiness????

wo, obvously both are important. I tink mit was the glorious Spike Milligan who said that while money can't buy you happiness, it does at least enable you to arrnage for a much better class of misery. You don't have to choose between the two --- don't you need to work on re-arranging circumstances, to the extent possible, to reduce the stress at work ; while continuing to look for alternative jobs ? Unpaid overtime is unfair, and ought to be avoidable and avoided. So you can't be truly creative at work, because the boss is too silly to know how to use you properly ? Sad, but common, in different ways, to most of us in employment. But that doesn't stop you from being brilliantly creative in your own time, nights and weekends -- which is the only time most of the rest of us have in which to be creative, anyway. You can revise your expectations of the job, expecting nothing diferent from what it provides, and looking elsewhere for enjoyment of the sort the money can help you to buy.

3
Posted by: Spooky | 2004/01/26

Why not aim for money AND happiness?

Perhaps you could see your way of earning a salary as a job that requires you to (a) do design work AND (b) exercise tolerance of human inperfections that goes with the business.
(ie see it as part of the job and don't take it too personally)
This you need only do from xxHxx AM till xxHxx PM on working days.
Other days and after hours is the time during which to do what you like best, including spoiling yourself with your hard earned money.
Money is a definite prerequisite for happiness.
It's a part of happiness that you already have.
Keep it.

Reply to Spooky
Posted by: Juzlisen | 2004/01/26

Hey there

Personally i would chose happiness but I suppose the money pays the bills. I have a similar problem and this is the great advice a friend gave me - and it's working.

1. Unless you are really desperate for the money and there is no other choice STOP any unpaid over time. When your health becomes an issue it's just not worth it!!!!!! No matter what your pay cheque looks like, nothing can replace your good mental and physical health.

2. Take five minute breaks every few hours - have a cup of tea, go outside, take deep slow breathes of air, stretch your legs and arms, head and neck. Do this when you feel stressed, fatigued or are about to crack, not every hour.

3. Dont give up and dont stop looking, the grass might not always be greener on the other side, try to reanalyse your current situation, see what does and does not work for you, manage your time differently, take your two tea breaks, take your lunch hour, prepare yourself frist thng in the morning, develop a routine or procedure for your day.

Try being more positive and never set impossible expectations for yourself, that is when most of us fall and then feel like failures. Hope my two cents is worth it. - If this does not work seek outside help.
Good Luck and dont give up.

Reply to Juzlisen
Posted by: Cleo | 2004/01/26

I'd say continue looking out for something else - don't get despondent, have faith, be positive and something WILL come up.

Reply to Cleo