Question
Posted by: IT Buddy | 2006/07/25

Money matters. Advice welcomed

Asking for advice. I recovered from a bad spell of debt recently by selling off a property. There were many factors contributing to my slipping into debt, the main one being my inability to work with money. After coming clean I now have a stand and approx R90 000 cash to work with. My monthly income suffices in covering all my expenses and leaves me with approx R5 000 surplus and a retirement benefit. The apartment I’m staying in is jointly owned by my ex and myself and for staying there I keep the monthly instalments up to date. How do I go about spending this money wisely in an ethical fashion ? I don’t want to get caught up in “get rich quickly schemes”. Any Gurus out there to advise me on the matter ? I know property is a good wicket, but is R90 000 enough to start afresh ? I’m turning 44 soon.

,,,,,

5
Posted by: IT Buddy | 2006/07/25

Excellent. I'll check it out. Thanx

Reply to IT Buddy
Posted by: Chelle | 2006/07/25

Yes, finding the right advisor is the trickiest part. I'd suggest getting someone who charges for the time spent, and not someone who gets commission on products sold - unfortunately, I don't think there are many of those available.

Our company pays for its employees to utilise the services of a site called moneysense dot co za - it does a personal profile and assesses your spending habits against the norm and provides suggestions about where you can lower or increase expenditure - I think those guys are independent advisors - maybe you should have a look and see if there is something helpful for you.

Reply to Chelle
Posted by: IT Buddy | 2006/07/25

Chelle. I'm pretty sure that the retirement benefit is too little. That's why I want to compliment this portion with whatever upshoot I can get from cleverly using the cash I've got. I know it's not a lot now, but rolling it over as quickly as possible is what I'm aiming at. As far as the lifestyle - ever since a divorce three years ago (which cost me a very neat amount cashed out to the ex) I've been doing the shoe-string budget thing, but I just came to the realisation that I'm saving myself poor, by clinging onto the property and having a terrible cash flow. My immediate needs are catered for now. It's looking ahead that bugs me. Thanks for the advice. Finding the right professional financial advisor is the trick, I think.....

Reply to IT Buddy
Posted by: Chelle | 2006/07/25

Oops - that should be "AFTER retirement"

Reply to Chelle
Posted by: Chelle | 2006/07/25

What type of retirement benefit? Have you had that checked to ensure that it will be sufficient to provide a decent income until retirement?

The property market is slowing down, and so you're not likely to get good returns quickly - but over 10 years you should still get a decent return on your money.

In order to give you proper financial advice a financial adviser needs more information - they need to understand your lifestyle, your goals for the future - whether you have dependents - how risk friendly or risk averse you are etc -

So, any advice given here shouldn't be seen as THE way. I suggest you get hold of an independent financial advisor who isn't out to sell you any old product.

Reply to Chelle