Question
Posted by: Inky | 2007/04/30

money awol using designer running shoes?

I've recently started a new job (yay!!!)
but now, 2 weeks into it, I'm encountering a major problem (ugh)
namely - I suspect that my colleague (we're only 2 assistants in the shop - our boss - the owner and manageress - is situated in a major city 80km away and only come in once every 2 weeks.) ....anyway, I suspect that my colleague (spelling???) might sometimes be helping herself to cash out of the till...!!

She will complain about how she never has enough money for this or that and how she and hubby are struggling to pay the kids' schooling fees...but then suddenly she buys enough chocolates and sweets and chips to cause obesity cases in Ethiopia to triple within a day...all for her kids' lunchboxes!! and she will buy designer underwear for her 7 yr - old daughter.

What should I do?????

I don't have any proof - apart from the fact that she's very defensive about the fact that she "sometimes" (nearly ALWAYS) "forgets" (debatable) to give our clients tax invoices. And she INSISTS to do our stocktaking ALL on her own.....?huh?

Or am I just being unnecessarily paranoid?
I'm just SO scared that I'm going to be the one under suspicion when money does disappear (so that someone notices it, that is!) because I've only been here for 2 wks while she has been working here for 3 months.

HELP!!!

Well, for a start, she seems to have no idea of what would be healthy eating for her kids, does she ? I don't think you're being unreasonably paranoid, the pattern you describe is surely suspicious. Can you communicate with your distant boss about your concerns, and suggest that she make an unexpectedly early visit and check hings out in detail herself ?

1
Posted by: Shae | 2007/05/02

CS is right and this will come out when the shop gets audited. rather do something now than risk being under suspicion then.

Reply to Shae