Posted by: TRAPPED | 2008/08/11

My son was staying with my mother after he went through a ba time of depression, drugs and attempted suicide.

He pulled himself together, started a new job found a new girlfriend and started spending most of his time with her. My mother has now told him to remove his belongings from her house because she does not want to be used. I can' t understand her - now I feel trapped because she complains to me and keeps asking me if i' ve seen him. If he is getting on with his life then I am glad but now this is causing a breakdown between mother &  daughter. I haven' t spoken to her for a week because I don' t know what to say. It' s as though I feel guilty that she gave him a place to stay and that I must make him feel forever grateful.
He now also doesn' t contact her.
What do you suggest.

Why would she suddenly change her mind and attitude about this ? Is she asking that HE remove his things from her home, and not those of the child ? Is this a quarrel between him and her, and not involving the child ? Don't you need to talk gently with her to understand what's going on ( you cannot cope with the unknown ) ?