Question
Posted by: Nono | 2007/03/19

Mommy fat

Hi.
I have a 6 month old baby, and I am now getting frustrated with the weight not going anywhere. I am exclusively breastfeeding and working out 3 times a week. I get very hungry, though and when I tried making smaller portions I had a dip in milk production (my baby doesn't have a back up plan) so I can't go that route. I am trying out the less sugar and fat route. Any other advise? And is it true that paw paw is "good" for tummy fat?

Dear Nono
The fact that you are breast feeding your baby is the single most precious gift you can give your child which will influence his/her health and weight for the rest of his/her life. So don't go on drastic slimming diets at this stage. You can by all means reduce your fat and sugar intakes, but you need a well balanced diet right now to provide for the 2 of you. Try eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), but add 2 more cups of fat-free milk or yoghurt to the diet to ensure that you get sufficient calcium for you and baby. Keep up the good work with the exercise as this does stimulate your metabolism and promotes weight loss. Pawpaw is an excellent food, rich in vitamins A and C, but it does not reduce fat.
Enjoy the baby

1
Posted by: Lorraine | 2007/03/19

I breastfed exclusively for almost a year and used HERBEX slimmers and lost all access weight and more! don't stop breastfeeding and exercising - you are doing a great job! Use "Blackthorn berry" syrup to help with milk production (get it at your Chemist).

You can also try going on HERBALIFE products - save and nutritious way of loosing weight. Just remember: it took you 9 months to GAIN the weight, now you have to give your body time to loose the weight.

Reply to Lorraine