Question
Posted by: Heartly Speaking | 2008/05/21

Mom's Heart

Hi Cyberdoc

My mom had terrible chest pains during slilghtest exertion. Treated for Angina for a week, it helped a bit. Referred to cardiologist. Says her heart skips a beat in the resting phase but nothing critical (good sonar). Said she has Tietze and gave her Cataflam for 10 days. Pain gone. Anti-inflammatories have worn off and pain is back. Question: Would the heart respond to anti-inflammatories, in other words back to the cardiologist or to an Orthopod. Neurosurgeon said its not his line, but referred her to an Ortho. We both worried about it as we have a stinking family history of heart disase/stroke/diabetes/reflux/arthritis/Hypertension. The cardiologist is aware and these conditions are all under control. save for the Arthritis. Her chest x-ray prior to seeing the cardio was clear. I am sick with worry, what do you think?

HS

Dear HS
I presume the cardiologist did do a stress ECG and blood tests to exclude heart disease and that is why he treated for Tietze syndrome. She need not see an orthopod, first let her get some physiotherapy treatment and she could maybe continue with the anti-inflammatories for a while longer. Tietze is not dangerous at all, just very irritating.

1
Posted by: Cathy | 2008/05/29

Sometime ago I saw the Dr re my chest and always having pain,
I said to her it felt as thought I need to be held tightly, she said it was Tietze, and put me on Cataflam, and for a very long time I felt o.k. However for the last couple of months I have had similar sensation, but now it seems to be my whole chest, often it feels like I have enormous stress in my back between my shoulder blades however I always have some "tension" somewhere in my upper body.
I had my sugar/cholestorol checked, I do have hypertension for which i take medication every day. I also have a family history of heart problems. I have never smoked, had my heart checked all seems to be o.k. there.

Reply to Cathy