Question
Posted by: Nicolai | 2007/12/06

Mom with Brain atrophy

Hi Doc,

Big problems: My mom had a bad stomach bug, so didnt eat much or drink fluids, and apparently lost the use of her legs (went lame). Shes only 57. I called and called until I could get hold of her and we booked her into hospital - she went from a fit vibrant person to looking very old and frail. The gerneral physician diagnosed dehydration - and did a CT scan and found brain atrophy. They treated the dehydration, and booked her out 3 days later. She is staying with me now. But where to from here.
She is incontinent, no muscle strength, can stand for a few seconds, and very wobbly. (last night fell on her FACE) - no reflex action. SO, a Urologist is seeing her next week - NOT ONE neurro surgeon between 3 of the best clinics in and around Sandton can see her. Wait it out - hope for the best? What do I do?

Hi Nicolai
I assume that you are working - do you have someone to look after her during the day? It may be helpful to see if you can book her in via a GP or physician into a step down clinic for care until she can see a neurologist. Ask the physician/GP if he can't phone around and try to get an emergency appointment for her somewhere? Alternatively phone the rooms of the neurologist daily to find out if they have cancellations.
All of the best - let me know if you managed?