Question
Posted by: Jitterbug | 2004/01/22

Mom suffering from Severe Aneamia

My Mom's HB count is extremely low. She has gone into hospital and received 3 pints of blood. The doctors still have to figure out what is causing this. But in the meantime, can you please suggest (or direct me to a site) a high iron diet. I recall raisons, chicken livers, spinage are good sources?

Dear Reader
I am very sorry to hear about your dear Mom's problem. Hopefully the drs will find out what is causing the anaemia (internal bleeding perhaps?) and treat the underlying condition. For maximum absorption of iron one needs to take a folic acid-iron supplement and also include vitamin C in the diet. A good supplement is FeroFolic, which combines folic acid and iron. The patient will need to take such a supplement for about 3 months to replenish depleted iron stores. She will also need to eat more liver, meat, fish, egg yolk, iron-fortified cereals and dried fruit to boost her iron stores. Having an iron-fortified breakfast cereal with a glass of orange juice (rich in vit C) at breakfast is a good way to ensure that the iron is more easily absorbed. The iron in spinach is not very well absorbed because it occurs in a complex molecule - that is also why it is best to use foods derived from animals like meat, liver and egg yolk, as the iron in these foods is highly bioavailable.