Question
Posted by: Missy | 2007/12/13

mom and Bf

i know this is actuely a Question for Teen expert but seeing he is on leave i cant ask him.im 17 and my bf is 21 i was wondering if he is to old for me, i have realy fallen for him and he understands me, but i have an over protective mom who wount let me enjoy any of the good things in life how can i change this, i'v been responsible my whole life trying to let her loosen her grip on me but lately i have given up.

I often get asked similar questions, and my answer is usually this --- so long as both partners are above the legal age for such relaionships, what matters isn't calendar years so much as maturity. And from the sound of it you may not yet be mature enough for a serious relationship. Its generally a sign of not being mature enough when one gets to feel so DESPERATE and as though its all terribly urgent, rather than taking more time to get to know someone.

3
Posted by: Sue | 2007/12/13

I disagree, its a 4 year age gap, which isnt HUGE!

I had a boyfriend of 21 when i was 17 and i was fine and so was the relationship.

I personally would get into anything toooooo serious at 17 though, there is a whole life long to do that!

Reply to Sue
Posted by: Joy | 2007/12/13

...in the one ear, out the other!! ;o)

Reply to Joy
Posted by: Hope* | 2007/12/13

Dear Missy, Personally, I think your bf is too old for you because of the age you are at now. When you are in your twenties and he will be twenty something then he will not be too old for you. Your Mom who is looking out for you, she knows the world out there. She is trying her best to protect you because she loves you dearly. You only have one Mum and she only has one of you! Cherish he bond with your mom and you will have love and respect for each other forever!

Reply to Hope*