Question
Posted by: Daughter | 2010/01/19

Mom 70yr old angry and swearing

I am really very concerned, my mom always angry and her swearing is getting worse by the day, she is 70 yrs old.
She would swear in front of other people that she just met and she gets very agitated very easily, she constantly complaining about everything to us and she expect us to fix everything for her, her fridge is broken i am trying to fix it but she must wait until the end of the month.

My son to her to the DR the other morning and the first thing she said is that F*cking Fridge still broken!

I am really very angry at her the way she is misbehaving in front of other people and fighting with every one and being so rude!

I am really at this end that i am ready to phone her and give her a piece of my mind but i am thinking that maybe something is wrong with her!

She is not rude to me, but everyone else!

Please advise me what i must do?

thank u

Try to work out a way to have her seen by a psychiatrist ( who you can introduce as a medical specialist ) for a proper asessment and diagnosis. Sounds like the onset of dementia, which can have a number of causes, some of them reversible, some of which we can delay the worsening of it, some we can't do much about, but some medications can help her be more cheerful and even tempered. Even with "normal" aging and senility, one of the areas of brain often affected early on are the areas that provide us with common sense and a sense of propriety - the areas that stop YOU from swearing in situations where it would be embarassing and unhelpful.
The main initial problem in the sort of situation you describe is to find a way to help her agree to be seen and assessed. If she has any physical and mood complaints she would appreciate having attended to, that's very useful
Meanwhile, understand that its no longer the full mom you used to know, who is now swearing and behaving badly.

2
Posted by: Vrye Denker | 2010/01/19

Dementia is a very difficult thing to live with, both for the sufferer and their family.

Reply to Vrye Denker