Question
Posted by: Stash | 2005/01/07

Moles

Hi There, hope u can help?
I have one or two moles that I am a little worried about, they have changed size etc.
I went to a dermatologist yesterday,he first looked at them and told me they are all benign, I thought you can only tell if they are cancerous after a biopsy? He also told me he has to "scan" them first before he'll remove them, after Charging me R290 to tell me come to my other rooms for a scan?!
I feel I have been ripped off?
What is your advise?

Stash, it would have been easier (and cheaper) to see your GP. If they look malignant you GP will be able to remove them without “scanning” them. :-) Good luck.

2
Posted by: Stash | 2005/01/07

Unfortunately I suffer from Keloid, the last time my GP cut a mole out he stuffed it up, I have to go to a Dermatologist, wish I could find a Decent one?
Thnx for the advise anyway!

Reply to Stash
Posted by: Liza | 2005/01/07

I have moles too - on my back and they itch like crazy. Have had them before, and even though they were benign I had them cut out. Not by a specialist, but by my regular GP with local anaesthetic in his rooms. Total cost - the cost of a double consultation, the stitches, local anaesthetic and a plaster. I think that today that would come to about R290 - and they're GONE.

Personally I do think you were ripped off. Rather just book a double appointment at your GP. Much cheaper.

Reply to Liza