Question
Posted by: Hajra | 2007/05/09

Molasses

Hello DietDOc

I have been reading so much about molasses in a few posts.I have been taking molasses for some time now and it is wonderful.
Just curious to know the acceptable intake per day in spoons and what is considered excessive

Thanks DietDoc
Hajra

Dear Hajra
As mentioned before on this forum, molasses has an energy content of 1142 kJ per 100 m, so each 15 ml Tablespoon will provide you with 171 kJ, which is not excessive. You can use the molasses to replace sugar (241 kJ/tablespoon) or have 1-2 T a day. If you ingest more than 10% of your daily energy requirement from such a food (e.g. 630 kJ when you are on slimming diet), which would represent 3,5 T then I would reckon your intake is becoming excessive. Moderation is always the key to good health.
Enjoy