Question
Posted by: molly | 2007/05/04

molasses

HI

What is the difference between blackstrap and crude molasses

THanks
Molly

Dear Molly
I must admit that I am not sure if there is any difference between so-called 'blackstrap' and crude molasses. I do know that both are produced during the process used in the refinement of white sugar (what could be regarded as the 'left-overs' of the process). I would guess that there is very little difference in their nutritive content as the SA Food Tables list molasses and treacle together as having an energy content of 1142 kJ, 1.3g protein, 71.4g of carbohydrates (all in the form of sugars), 684 mg calcium, 16.1mg of iron, 149 mg magnesium, 84 mg of phosphorous, 2927 mg potassium, 96mg of sodium, 0.11 mg vit B1, 0.19 mg B2, and 2 mg niacin per 100 ml.

1
Posted by: Molly | 2007/05/06

Thanks for the reply

Are these readings per teaspoon or table spoon.

Molly

Reply to Molly