Question
Posted by: JK | 2005/07/05

molar pregnancy

Hi Doc,

My last period was on 4th may and since then have had some pregnancy symptoms like Implatation bleeding and sore tender breasts. I've done several hpt, all negative.
I went to my gynae on july 1st and when he did a scan, he said that i have a molar pregnancy. What is this? Will i be able to have babies? How long before I can concieve? I have been booked for a hysterscope and d&c on the 11th. What is a hysterscope?

A molar pregnancy is one where the placenta has developed but no baby. A hysteroscope involves putting a telescope into the uterus to see what the problem is. It is usually advised that you wait at least 6 months after a molar pregnancy befor conceiving again. Your story does not quite add up, because the pregnancy test is usully very positive with a molar pregnancy and the treatment does not involve hysteroscopy. Discus with your doctor t clarify.

4
Posted by: JK | 2005/07/06

Thank you so much for your advise. What he said was that i could have a molar pregnancy. But just the mention of it i almost fell of the table. I know he said quite a bit and all i could do was sit there and say nothing. I don't even remember half of what he said. He is a really good dr. I've read up on the procedure but what i don't know is how long I will be in hospital for. Will I stay overnight or will i be allowed to leave the same day?

Thanks for your support..

Reply to JK
Posted by: feb2006mommy | 2005/07/06

First let me just say that I am terribly sorry for your loss. I had a molar pregnancy last year and understand your anxiety.

JK, I think you better find yourself another decent gynae. It is not possible to know that you have a molar pregnancy before they did several and extensive tests on the tissue that they remove during the D&C.

Another thing, with a molar pregnancy your pregnancy hormones are normally higher than it should be so you should have gotten a +hpt. I think you should get a desent docter to do all the necessary tests to see what is really going on.

And like K said, it is advised to wait a year before you fall pregnant again. It's a complicated issue toe explain here but there are fasts amounts of info on the net regarding this. Type in "molar pregnancy" and "trophoblast disease" in a search engine and you will get excelent explanations together with graphical drawings explaining the situation. To me it was very important to understand what happened. When you hear the news in the gynae's office, you just go blank and forget all the questions and concerns.

And YES, you will have babies. I am pregnant at the moment and everything seems to be going just fine.

Good luck and I will be thinking of you.

Reply to feb2006mommy
Posted by: karin | 2005/07/06

isnt it terrible that a doc cant take the time to explain a thing like that, i feel so sorry for you, maybe change doc, do a little research on the internet and see if it sheds some light, goodluck. xxx

Reply to karin
Posted by: k | 2005/07/05

A friend of mine had a molar pregnancy and she needed to wait a year before falling pregnabt again. but i am a bit concerned that your dr has not explained all of this to you. My freind was in quite a serious condition( i really dont meen to scare you , but she needed to go for blood tests once a week after they found the molar . She had a brilliant dr, dr Dahms Sunning hill hospital .Thats all I know about Molar preg.
all the best

Reply to k