Question
Posted by: breathless | 2004/11/01

Mitral Valve Prolapse

Dear Cyberdoc

Two years ago I started battling to inhale deeply. I was diagnosed with mitral valve proplapse in 2003. Is my breathing problem related to my heart condition. Lately I wake up at 03h00am in the morning and i really struggle to inhale deeply. I get so anxious because i cant take that deep breath and when i finally manage to get a deep breath my whole body shakes. Is my heart condition worsening? I am only 31years old and am really worried.

Breathless, it is unlikely that it is due to your heart, but it is possible that the prolapsing valve causes an irregular heart rate or that the blood is pushing back into the lung and that this is the reason for your symptoms. This is why the best would be to see your cardiologist and make sure it isn’t the case. Good luck.