Question
Posted by: Carole | 2004/02/19

Mites in my dog's ear and natural supplement for aging

My dog, an X staffie/ "windhond", comes from SPCA. Found in Langa outside CT, she was neglected ill and petrified when we fetched her. She had distemper, kennel cough, mange, fleas & very thing. We think that her teeth have yellow stains due to all her illnesses. She is now nine years old and an absolute darling. My husband & I love her very much !! She is beautiful, but we think she has mite in her left ear. We have been to a vet who cannot find anything wrong with the ear
We managed to obtain ORIDERMYL gel, which seems to sooth the ear. Is this the correct medicine to use? The skin on her back is very dry, I tried tea tree shampoo, which made it worse. She has a good diet - eats Purina Alpo (SA Guide Dogs Soc), mealie porridge & pets mince. She is lovely & slim, sleeps inside & protects me with vigor and love from all whom she thinks might harm me! She is so intelligent I wished she would talk. What can I do about her problems?
Thank you.

Itchy ears can be caused by many different things including allergy, mites, bacteria, ticks, fungi, foreign bodies, tumours, etc, and specific examination is necessary to determine the cause. Only then can the correct be a drop be prescribed, as no one ear drop exists that will treat all these different problems at once. Also, the dry skin on the back may be caused by fleas, so make very sure that she has not got a single flea on her, as this may set off a severe reaction including dryness of the skin on the back. If it still does not work, you can try one of the diets made by the same manufacturer but formulated specifically for skin disease.

Enjoy her company!

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town

1
Posted by: Carole | 2004/02/19

PLEASE REPLY SOONEST !!!

Reply to Carole