Question
Posted by: Cleo | 2007/08/15

Missing my dog!

This is the first animal that is mine. I have never had my own animal because I always thought I wasn't a animal lover till I got my dog 3 years ago.

This dog is my life and we really have a very strong bond. This past long week-end we went away for 4 days and although my husband's son stayed in our house and looked after the animals, I missed my dog so much. I could not wait for the week-end to be over so I could just get back to my dog.

And when I walked into the house Sunday night he did not hear us and was lying on the little carpet in front of the front door waiting for me. The child says that the dog lied there the whole time I was gone.

Now how can I ever leave him again? He does not understand that I will only be away for a few days. I can't put some mielie pitte into a little bottle and tell him to throw one out ever day till I get back because he's just a dog and does not understand.

I've already booked our holiday for December but I don't want to go because I just can't bear leaving my dog behind. It's not possible to take him with and he will be in very good hands and in his own house with his own bed etc. so that's not the problem.

How do you guys deal with this? Or am I just crazy?

The separation is probably causing him to be anxious. By installing a DAP vapourizer in your home it will help him settle down. You can also train him to get used to you being away by leaving him alone at home for longer and longer periods. It is however important to get the DAP up and running before you begin.

7
Posted by: Lilly | 2007/08/16

Its so good to hear of all these caring animlal lovers out there! I went away from my dogs for the first time in December and was home sick for them almost immedietly!
I cried and hung on to them like there was no tomorrow when I got home, so I think we're all in the same boat! Just glad to hear that there are people out there that care for animals as much as I do!!!

Reply to Lilly
Posted by: Sammy | 2007/08/16

When my baby was in hospital for 3 nights I cried everynight!!!
I dont think its crazy, she has become like my own child. Many people say that its only a dog.... but to me its more than that. I cant have kids, so that is my child...

Reply to Sammy
Posted by: Cleo | 2007/08/16

Thank you guys, at least I know I'm not alone in this matter.

Y we have 3 dogs so I little one is not alone but still, I don't feel any better in knowing that I will have to leave them behind the next time we go on holiday.

Last night I told my husband that this December will be last time we go away without them. Next year I'm looking for a place that is pet friendly.

Have a nice day and enjoy your pets.

Reply to Cleo
Posted by: Y | 2007/08/16

Our housesitter (my sister) also always reported that our boxer got very lonely without us when we went away on holiday - but what can one do? - I love my baby, but also want to visit the Kruger Park once or twice a year (and you can't take your dog along there).

What helped was getting him a companion. Our "new" little girl is a mixbreed border collie / staffy and very friendly and affectionate. She has been with us for about five years now, and the boxer is doing much better when we're away. Even our going out to work is not such an ordeal any more because he has at least part of his "pack" always with him.

I wouldn't recommend more than two dogs, or two dogs of the same sex, though.

Reply to Y
Posted by: Carol | 2007/08/15

Join the club , I had to kennel Miki some years back and she almost pined to death .

Although if monty eats one more avocado on my carpet im going to send him to outer siberia!!!!

Reply to Carol
Posted by: Nip-nip | 2007/08/15

If that is the case then i will be third crazy person.
i used to travel with my dogs everwhere i go by then i had only two.just the thought of leaving them for the weekend with my brother wasn't easy for me.
If it happens i will keep phoning him time and again to find if everything was fine. if ever i hear a bark on the phone i will ask him "Why is he barking ,Please check"and he will laugh.
they make my life whole,even when i eat kentucky i keep the bones and the chicken skins for them.i cannot imagine my life without them

Reply to Nip-nip
Posted by: Natasha | 2007/08/15

Hi Cleo
If you think you are crazy, then don't worry cause I am crazy too :-)
I don't go on holiday often as my husband has his own business and works all the time. But when we do go away (even for the day) I am constantly missing my dogs and cats.
We went to JHB ( I am from Pietermaritzburg) for the weekend a few weeks ago, and I was soooooo excited to come home on the Sunday. We live in a granny flat in my parents back yard, so when i go away, my mom looks after my dogs so I know they are safe. But still they stay in my head all the time. I have had animals my whole life so when I go somewhere with no animals I almost feel like I am not a whole person !! Very wierd but I am lost without animals.
My husband gets so mad at me cause he whenever he says "lets go somewhere on holiday" the first thing I saw is "what about the dogs ??"

I know a LOT of people who will say we are crazy, but I think there are lots of us that are quite happy to be Crazy :-)

Reply to Natasha