Posted by: Chando | 2008/10/21

Missed periods

I have missed my periods by 6 days, my doctor told me I was pregnant but then I and had my periods after that with heavy bleeding, any advice?

Dear Chando

The only definitive confirmation would have been a blood pregnancy test, which should still have been positive at the time when bleeding commenced. In the absence of a positive blood pregnancy test or a pathology specimen of the products of conception it would be unwise to consider this situation as a definite miscarriage. There are many other possible for delayed onset of menses together with heavy bleeding such as hormone producing ovarian cysts and other hormonal imbalances.

Answered by: Dr. M.I. Cassim