Question
Posted by: Mariloo | 2005/06/28

Missed period but negative tests

I need help. Some things are not making any sense.
My story is the following:
On the 27 May I underwent a lapscope, D&C etc. My period was on time on the 28th of May. (I have a regular 28 day cycle). The outcome was positive, I should have no problem conceiving as I ovulate and there are no blockages in the tubes. Two weeks afterwards there was a little blood-brownish discharge, but it immediately stopped. I started with period pains (no period as I still had 2 weeks to go), dizzy and nausea spells, headaches and frequent urination. I did a home test knowing the outcome would be negative, as it was too early. By the second day of a missed period though, I did another test, also negative. By then I was so confused, because I was so sure I'm pregnant. I then went to my GP (I came down with the flu and was too scared to take anything) who did another urine test (to test for any urine infections and pregnancy) - negative. He also did a blood test - negative. My period is now 5 days late and the symptoms persist. My question is: is it possible for a bloodtest to be negative and you can still be pregnant? Can I still hope? Where the hell is my period? I need my period in order to try again!!

Kind regards
Mariloo

Your period is probably late because of the D&C. Some irregularity is common in the first 4-6 weeks after a D&C. If the blood test was negative, you are not pregnant.

3
Posted by: Mariloo | 2005/06/29

Hi Desperate

I so understand! And I'm so greatful to hear I'm not the only one. My period was in fact the 28th of May - a day after the lapscope. It was exactly 28 days as I know it should be. I have spoken to my ginea who gave me some hope.
Apparently there are two types of blood tests. The one is kwalitative - where it only says positive or negative. (Also th one my GP asked for). My ginea said if nothing happens in five days, I need to do a kwantitative test which shows your hormone levels. If there is some form of escalation in the levels it could be a pregnancy. He also said most GP's only do the first test mentioned, which can often be a false result. So hang in there!! There is hope!!

Kind regards
Mariloo

Reply to Mariloo
Posted by: Desperate | 2005/06/29

Hi! I also had a laprascope at the end of May. It takes about 4 - 6 weeks for your period to arrive. I am confused as you mentioned 28 May and I assume you meant June?
Phone your gynae and check. I hope it does arrive. We spend so many months hoping it doesn't and now you have to pray that it does so you can get started again.

Reply to Desperate
Posted by: Jee | 2005/06/28

Hi You are not alone I am going thru the same thing I know how fraustrating it is I am 12 days late and Hpt are negative

Reply to Jee