Question
Posted by: Rose | 2008/01/31

Missed office meeting

I missed a meeting and I feel terrible. we are a team of 4 including the PA and the boss. my other colleague and my boss would have meetings i dont know about and i will not be informed or as an after thought or I will just get invited 5 minutes before or something like that. i have been in this unit for 3 months and it has not been ok, i feel we r not treated equally but im not going to moan about that i have already made a decision about what im going to do with my career s

but this particular meeting, the PA actually did send a mail on monday to inform about it but somehow it slipped and it was not saved on my calendar. So when it happened I was outside the office and apparently they called me on my cell. the reason i feel bad is that it hurts when they have meetings without me so NOW this is like a justification as to why we dont sometimes include u...am I too harsh on me, should I just let it go. I dont feel i should explain myself also. Is that now a bad attitude? I feel I have overstayed my welcome, the colleague never wanted me in this position in the first place. But thats a discussion for another day, so there has always been tension between us. Im not a confrontational person and I hate to feeling like I must always defend myself I think its a waste of valuable time.

Seems that part of the reason for you feeling so awkward now, is that you have been worried ( maybe even complained ?) about receiving late or no notification of meetings, and then when they did notify you, you aciedntally forgot to turn up ? Can't you chat to your boss pleasantly about this, and say something like --- I want to apologise and feel awful about missing this meeting, especially as I usually worry about not getting notifications and feling as though I am misssing meetings perhaps I ought to be at. Its more a question of explaining yourself ( and maybe setting up a workable arrangement about meetings ) than defending yourself. Never defend yourself when you're not under attack !