Question
Posted by: missE | 2004/10/20

MISS GYM

I GO TO GYM 3-5 TIMES PER WEEK . WHAT WILL HAPPEN IF I DON'T GO TO GYM FOR WEEKS .WILL I LOSE MY FITNESS OR GAIN WEIGHT
WHAT WILL HAPPEN

HI MissE

You do start to lose fitness after stopping training. That's why consistency is very important. The unfair thing about it is that you lose fitness faster than you can gain it. In otherwords, it might take you months to build up to a certain level starting from your current fitness, but within weeks of stopping, you might be back at where you started. So, the ideal is to always do a little. If you are for example going away, then there's nothing you can do about it, and that's fine, I would not worry about a week or two of inactivity, provided that you understand that you must spend some time building up once you do start training again. However, if it's months that you are going away, you would be better off at least trying to maintain your fitness. Even doing two sessions a week is good, because this will at least slow down the loss and allow you to get back into it quicker when you start up.