Question
Posted by: Dipsy | 2005/07/02

Miss diagnosed Bipolar/depression

I think that I have been miss diagnosed, my doctor says I have depression. However I think I have bipolar and have just come out of a manic episode which has cost me dearly financially. How do I get referred to someone who is actually interested in me as a patient and not as just another R175 in his pocket. Where do I get the right help. I don't know where to find help.

Hi Dipsy,
Well, sometimes diagnosing these Affective Disorders ( a useful name for the whole family of them ) it can be a bit like the story of the blind men who encountered an Elephant. One, grasping the trunk, insisted that elephants were very like snakes, and one, coming upon a leg, said "Nonsense, they're just like trees".
Is it possible that when you saw the doctor you were depressed ( which is of cousrse also a part of bipolar disorder ) and talked of depresion, and then later had a manic episode ( which can, in some circumstances be partly brought on by taking appropriate antidepressants during a depressive phase ) ?
Souns like you'd feel more comfortable with a second opinion, though it's hard to predict in advance how you would feel about any speific psychiatrist you might see. Maybe friends or your GP could recommend a good local psychiatrist ?