Question
Posted by: Eckles | 2003/03/17

Miso & Tofu

Hi, I am 49 yrs, have had a partial hysterectomy & pelvic repair 8 weeks ago. I have decided to change my diet. I eat tofu which I blend with soya milk, berries or banana and honey as well as fresh wheat germ. I make a soup of 1 tsp of miso paste with seawead cut up into it as well as carrots and spring onions or whatever veg is around. I eat lots of veg especially craveing beetroot at the moment.(I use the seawead sheets used for sushie). Lots of nuts and sprouts to nibble on, as well as lots of fruit - I prefer soft fruit. I also have tinned sardines in tomatoe sauce quite a bit. Baked sweetpotatoes as well. I eat little at night because this stops the hot flushes completely. I dont seem to want bread or meat or dairy. These foods I eat at all different times of the day - like fish for breakfast! What I want to know is in what quantities I should be having Tofu and miso paste? What else should I be eating to get ahead of menopause and longer life.

Dear Eckles
As long as you eat tofu and drink soya milk (3 glasses a day) as a source of protein and calcium (in addition to it being an excellent source of phyto-oestrogens!) at least once a day and keep on eating fish (for the B12, iron and omega-3 fatty acids), then you should be fine. I would suggest that you use the miso paste in moderate quantities as it does have quite a high sodium content. Consider eating about 4 eggs a week to provide additional iron to your diet.
Enjoy