Question
Posted by: BEE | 2004/10/31

Miserable and letting off steam

It's Sunday am and I'm alone and in pain. Things went okay for a short while after stomach surgery in early Sept. The pain started about 3 weeks later and hasn't stopped. Dr's have now discovered a Gall stone. Lucky me. Two Dr's say that the stone isn't the cause of my pain, the other (the surgeon who performed my stomach op) says it definitely is and the gall bladder must come out and before I knew it, I was scheduled for surgery on the 8th November. More surgery. I don't know if I'm ready to part with my gall bladder, especially if I don't need to. The reason I say that is that after many hours of reading about gall bladder disease/stones on the net, my symptoms aren't quite as described. But, no-one wants to listen to me. I can't even get an appointment with the surgeon before the surgery to discuss this with him. He just says, of course that's the problem, how can other Dr's say it isn't?! I'm not convinced at all. What if the symptoms persist after the op? I'm not good with pain at all. I feel sick & tired all the time. I haven't been able to take my Zoloft and Lamictin for almost 2 months now and it shows. The pills, even when crushed and swallowed caused unbearable burning inside. I am so depressed. I see my shrink on Tuesday and he is not going to be amused as we were doing so well, as he says. I need to get a 2nd opinion on this gall bladder thing from a specialist. I don't want the surgeon who peformed the 1st op to think that I'm going behind his back. Daft huh, especially when we are talking about MY health and MY body! Just letting off some steam and wishing that all the Dr's could be more like CS who does listen. I know, psychiatry is different to gastro problems but still.....

Dear BEE,
How annoying and dispiriting. Sounds like maybe you'd want to get a fresh, second opinion, surgically, about your abdominal pain, asking the new doc if you can tell him AFTER he has examined you and given you his opinion, what else you have been told >? With any disorder, some of us have symptoms that are textbook typical, and others of us don't, so diagnosis is an art. The appendix is totally useless, just waiting to produce an appendicitis ; the gall bladder isn't a lot more useful, and most folks I know who have had it out, don't miss it at all. But you're right, that if this is not the cause of this pain, it might not solve your currrent problem. Mind you, depending on how the op is done, the surgeon could have a good chance to look around while he's in there, as it were, and check out for other possible causes.
IF you needed Zoloft and Lamictin, it's a problem if you feel you needed to stop taking them, and we don't want other psych problems to arrive and complicate things ( indeed, that could be part of the reason you're feeling so dispirited now ). By the way, I notice that Lamictin also comes in "dispersible tabs", formulated so as to dissolve rapidly, like a soluble aspirin, which could make them easier to take.
And I'm not so sure whether gastrology is that much different to psychiatry --- you still have to listen to people, examine them, and think carefully to figure out what's going on and what's the best way to remedy the situation.
See what your shrink thinks on Tuesday, too.

1
Posted by: Shaun | 2004/11/01

Hi BEE,

As always, CS is right, guess thats why he's the pro here huh!

Seriously though, as you say, it's your body, so it's only right that you go into that operating room knowing there's no other choice. But you don't feel assured right now. I guess if you even discuss this with your doc/surgeon, he may come to understand your hesitation. From your posting I would definitely suggest you seriously consider that second opinion.
Not to add to your stress in any manner what-so-ever, but it seems like maybe your body might just know better & in it's own way trying to tell you something. Maybe I'm totally wrong here, but I feel certain that second opinion may help in convincing you towards the appropriate action that may be required.
I always say don't try to stress yourself about things you don't know, coz you don't really know, so why worry. But, I also often say, if there is any impact you can have on changing the situation, then you best take that action, instead of having regrets later on.

Sorry I can't be of much more help as I personally haven't been for any major operations, so I guess I wouldn't really know the stress involved.

I sincerely hope though, that you get the assurance you need.

Take care,
Shaun

Reply to Shaun