Question
Posted by: miki | 2007/03/08

miscarriages and insulin

I have had 2 miscarriages, the first at 3 mnths and the second at 6 weeks.
I want to know if there is any relationship between my reactive hypoglycemia and the miscarriages. I have also had very irregular periods before the second pregnancy. My weight is normal and my diet Low GI, GL and no sugar.
Unfortunately one cannot control everything and I had a very bad episode during the second pregnancy. I almost fainted and felt very ill and weak and extremely pale. A week before everything was looking good but then at the next scan the sac was odd shaped and it was clear it was over.
Could the insulin episode have played a role in the miscarriage?
I have also heard of Metformin, could this help?

Dear Miki

There is a definite relationship between low blood sugar levels, the presence of ketones, and the incidence of miscarriages. There is a greater relationship noted between the ketone levels and the liklihood of miscarriages and in most cases of hypoglycemia is associated with elevated ketone levels, especially in patients using insulin. It is in some cases suggested that maintaining a SLIGHTLY elevated sugar level in early pregnancy may not be such a bad thing in order to avoid the hypo's. However, this may not be the only problem and that genetic factors and other causes of miscarriages should be excluded first before basing all the facts on the blood sugar levels only.
It is not advisable to use metformin as a substitute for insulin, as metformin is, in its own right is suspected of being associted with problems/congenital defects.