Question
Posted by: worried | 2003/12/12

miscarriage at 5months (22weeks) urgent

Hi!

What causes a miscarriage at 5months, i'm so worried b-coz a friend of mine had a miscarriage at 5months & i'm also 5months now. can u pls tell me the signs of a miscarriage at 5months. PLEASE ANYONE HELP I'M SO WORRIED.

The signs of a miscarriage would be pain and bleeding.

3
Posted by: Tia | 2003/12/15

Hi, There's always the possibility that something can go wrong and its good to know the signs and symptoms (pointed out by doc) but i do agree with everyone else that staying positive and stress free is the best you can do for your baby. I was the person who lost my baby at 36 weeks in Jan this year because by the act of nature the umbilical cord twisted. By the Grace of God i was fortunate to fall pregnant 3 months later and am now 30 weeks pregnant. I focus a lot on bonding with my baby so that i can hopefully pick up if there's any signs theres a problem and staying positive and stress-free irrespective of what i hear from others.

Enjoy your pregnancy and stay positive!!

Reply to Tia
Posted by: Kate | 2003/12/12

Please don't worry. What happens to other people may not and probably will not happen to you. Just the other day a lady on this forum said that she lost her baby at 36 weeks, I am 27 weeks now and worried about it for the whole afternoon. Then I thought, I don't know what caused her to lose her baby and although my heart really hurts for her, I cannot worry about my pregnancy and my baby all the time because of the misfortunes of others.

When I was 11 weeks, an insensitive woman at my work said "oh my sister miscarried at 11 weeks'. There are always going to be horror stories and stories that make us worry ourselves into a state. You really have to relax and enjoy your pregnancy, take everything as it comes and if you have had a good pregnancy so far, enjoy it because you and your baby are most certainly fine.

Just always listen to your body, watch for warning signs and follow your instincts, if something doesn't feel right, phone your doctor.

I know it is hard not to worry, but you have to try to relax and enjoy this special time. Your baby gets stressed if you are stress.

Best of luck and stay healthy!

Reply to Kate
Posted by: www | 2003/12/12

Miscarriages usually happen during the first 12 weeks / 3 months of pregnancy. If it happens after that, then it could have been abruptio (when the placenta tears away from the uterus) or maybe an "incompetent cervix" - it could also be any number of other reasons, the gynae can give you a better indication - just thought I'd give my 2 cents worth.

If an incompetent cervix is diagnoses (it can normally be picked up before hand) then they put in a preventative "stich" (can't remember what it's called) and put you on some bedrest. Abruption can becaused by an accident or very hard bump, but mostly happens without a person knowing about it due to the calcification of the placenta.

Reply to www