Question
Posted by: fats | 2004/09/26

miscarriage and down syndrome

i am almost 40 and had two miscarriages within 4 months. the first was in june at 6 weeks and the second in mid september at 12 weeks. the chromosome tests came back as abnormal with the baby having down syndrome.
is it possible to have a normal baby after this and are there any preventative measures i can take.
is it normal to be afraid to fall pregnant again?

It is normal to be afraid. It is possible to have a normal baby. your chances of a chromosomal abnormality is higher than in a younger woman.
IVF and pre-implantation genetic diagnosis is an option but is very expensive and not freely available.
To be sure you do not have a downs syndrome baby next time amniocetesis at about 16 weeks could be done.

2
Posted by: fats | 2004/09/27

thank you for your replies.
Kate, my prayers are with you, may it go well this time.

Reply to fats
Posted by: Kate | 2004/09/27

It is very normal to be afriad to fall pregnant again. I lost my babyat 36 weeks in Feb and then miscarried at 5 weeks in June. I am 27 years old and apparently healthy. I am now 12 weeks pregnant again and this one was a bit of a surprise which was good as I was contemplating not falling pregnant again.

I am only now allowing myself to feel some sort of excitement but I know that you can lose your baby at any stage of pregnancy so I am realistic. It is hard to go through miscarriages and stillbirths and still be positive about having a baby. I find that everyone keeps telling me about people having babies, as if that will make me more positive, it just makes me feel resentful and yet I don't want to take away from anyone's happiness. But it is hard when you have suffered the loss of your baby or babies.

Go to amothersgrief dot com I found this site helpful. It is just for moms who have lost their babies.

Take care!!

Reply to Kate