Question
Posted by: Nita | 2007/03/27

Miscarriage

Hi, if anyone can answer my questions - please do. Here is my story:
I went off the contraceptive pill Minerva in November 2006, I had my cycles during December '06 & in January '07, however in February my doctor realised I was suppose to be about 9 weeks pregnant, but the fetus died in my 5th week. She decided not to remove the fetus but to put me back on the pill (Minerva) for a further 3 months with the Provera tablets. I have been through a month with the pill, but still no cycle & no fetus "coming down". Is this normal? or should I get a second opinion?

I think you should get a second opinion. If you have a missed abortion and it has not come down, you will need a D&C.

3
Posted by: Nix | 2007/03/27

With my miscarriage the moment the Dr saw that the fetus had died he booked me into hospital for a D&C. no pills were given. second opinion is what you need. good luck. and sorry to hear of your loss

Reply to Nix
Posted by: Bella | 2007/03/27

Gees no, something is not right here. Why would the Dr not start the process of getting the foetus out? Why do you now have to walk around with it still inside you? The same thing happened to me at 11 weeks. When we found out he have me pills to take, I forgot the name, I started having terrible pain later that night, 2 days later I had my first D&C and it was done. I say first, because 4 days later I had to have another D&C as they did not get all of the placenta out the first time. But still, I did not walk around with a dead baby inside me till nature took its course. I'd say definately, see another Doctor. This is traumatic enough for you, you need not go through this.

Reply to Bella

Did she do a blood test to check if your pregnancy hormones were coming down?
I've had a few miscarriages like you've experienced. Its called a missed miscarriage. But usually within a week or so of the Dr picking up that the foetus has died, my pregnancy hormone levels drop low enough that I bleed spontaneiously.
If you have not bled yet then you need to have a D & C to remove the feotus.
You probaly should go for a second opinion.