Question
Posted by: faith | 2003/12/18

Miscarriage

I have had some brown discharge intermittantly for six days now and am in three weeks pregnant. I haven't had any abdominal cramping although for a day or so I did experience some acute pain in to one side of my abdomen( although I have not felt any subsequent pain in the same region for a couple of days now). My doctor told me he wouldnt be able to confirm whether I had miscarried yet and to see him again if I started to bleed or suffer pain. Could I have had an eptopic pregnancy and miscarried? Could the pregnancy have damaged my fallopian tube?when could I do a pregnancy test to confirm whether I'm still pregnant? Thankyou for your help.

I take it that you are three weeks late for your period. This would make you 7 weeks pregnant. At this stage a scan would show if the pregnancy is viable or not, and also if it is in the uterus or the tube. I would suggest that you see a gynaecologist.

1
Posted by: sue | 2003/12/18

Bleeding in pregnancy is never normal and the brown discharge could certainly indicate miscarriage. Not all woman suffer pain with their miscarriages either. I would see a gynae and do a scan to check what is going on. If you have miscarried it is important for the doctor to make sure that it is complete, if incomplete you would probably need to have a D&C. As for an ectopic, you would definately need to exclude this as a matter of urgency as ectopic pregnancies are life threatening.

Reply to sue