Question
Posted by: Heidio | 2008/05/30

Mirena vs 3-month injection

I am 28, have the CMV virus and chronic fatigue as well as depression. I went on the 3-month petagen injection two years ago as my PMS got so bad that for one week of the month I simply could not bring myself so far as to get out of bed. The cramps were also bad for the first two days and affected my mood.

With regards to meds: I am tapering off Zoloft and starting Cymbalta.

I gained fifteen kilos while on the injection and would like to switch to another method of contraception but I need something that would minimize my periods and therefore PMS.

My doctor suggested Mirena, although I have not had children. She said she had it and was fine.

I would like to know:
Do you think this is a good idea?
Are there any other alternatives?
How much does it cost?
How much will the gynae appointment to insert it cost?

Thanks in advance.
H

I would also suggest the Mirena. the other option is the Pill.
The Mirena costs R1500. Gynaecologists' charges vary from R400 - R1000.