Question
Posted by: Jeanette | 2005/01/12

Mirena problems ?

After my second child was born in Jan last year I was fitted with a Mirena. After about 8 months I started having dizzy spells with nausea, swollen feet and cramps which lasted about three weeks. My GP did all the tests and there is nothing wrong with me. Shortly afterwards I had a heavy bleed, (periods stopped with the Mirena), and when I went to see my Gynae he said it was just a cyst. Since then I had severe pains which last a day or two every month followed by a blood stained jelly-like discharge. Are these more cysts, and should I be worried about recurring cysts ? I am also becoming incredibly irritable, and very often have periods of depression. What are my alternative choices for contraception if I have the Mirena removed as I still want more children ?

Many of these could be side effects of the Mirena. I cannot comment on the pain without examining you. If you had a cyst before, there could be a recurrence. Your other options are the Pill or the injectable.