Question
Posted by: tam | 2006/10/25

mirena device

my gp told me about the mirena for contraception and due to my migraines, i get every few months. and low blood pressure i have as well as very irregular periods (ie. having 2 periods in one month ! )
my gynae charges about R2500 which is a little more than i can afford at this time.
can i buy the device from a chemist and then just take it for my gynae to put in ? and will this work out cheaper ?
if not, what can i do to reduce this heavy cost. becos i really think it would benefit me. (and not planning any babies in the next 5 yrs.. i have already had one, he's 9 months old)
hubby and i are only on hospital plan - don't know if they will pay ?
please assist me in this query..
thank you !

I don't think that it will work out cheaper to buy the device and then have your gynaecologist fit it.
If you are only on a hospital plan, your medical aid will not pay.

1
Posted by: Maya | 2006/10/26

I was on the Mirena for 3 yrs and highly recommend it. After 3 months of spotting my periods stopped for 1 1/2 yrs and then returned but very lightly and only every 6 weeks!
Check with your pharmacy what they can buy it and sell it to you for. I did that and it worked out to be slighlty cheaper. My doc had no problem with that as he doesn't charge a profit on it so ask yours.
Your hospital plan will not cover it as you are not admitted to hospital!
Good luck with your decision:)

Reply to Maya