Question
Posted by: Nicky | 2007/03/19

Mirena Contraceptive

I have heard about the mirena contraceptive which is an implant near your overies and lasts for five years. I am currently on yasmin, but me and my husband have discussed this and we do not want to have children in teh next 5 years as we are newly married etc. Could you please tell me if this is a safe contraceptive, if it is painful and how good is it at preventing pregnancy? Does it make you fat ?

The Mirena is very safe. It should not cause weight gain. The insertion is often a bit uncomfortable, especailly if you have not had children before.