Question
Posted by: jo | 2004/01/11

mirena coil to help endometriosis y/n?

having been diagnosed with endo have been booked in to have mirena coil fiited as this should alleviate all symtoms. have recieved conflicting reports re the coil and am worried that it will cause me to gain weight and cause mood swings. Very worried about this. Surely there must be something that could help that would not produce these side effects-something my consulant told me 'probably' would not happen? Not wishing to have any more children would sterilisation be an option?

The first line options for treatment of endometriosis are Depo provera or Tridomose or surgery. The Mirena would work in a similar way to Depo provera. Some women experience the side effects you describe but it is not possibel to predict who will and who won't. Sterilisation will not help your endometriosis. If you do not want to try the Mirena, you may wish to discuss one of the other options mentioned above.