Question
Posted by: Myrna | 2004/01/08

Mirena and pregnant?

If a Mirena is displaced can you fall pregnant? I had mine inserted about 6 months ago. It hurt while making love in November. My last period started on 19th December. I have a 28 - 32 day cycle and made love on or around the 31st December. For the last week or so, my nipples have really hurt. I have taken a HPT, but it was negative - I suppose it was too early. What are the chances though that I am pregnant. I have also got a bicornuate uterus.

Thanks.

If an IUCD is displaced it would not be effective. The pregnancy test would only be positive around the time of an expected period. If you are worried about whether the IUCD is corrcetly situated, you should see your gynaecologist. In terms of pregnancy, you will have to wait and see whether your period comes at the right time.

2
Posted by: Myrna | 2004/01/08

Thanks Belle.

The thing is - I have NEVER been able to feel the strings. When it was inserted, the gynae it a vaginal ultrasound scan thing and said that it was fine!

Reply to Myrna
Posted by: Belle | 2004/01/08

If the Mirena is displaced in any way then it is not effective anymore. You can check if it is still there by feeling for the two little strings, which you should do monthly in any case because it can be displaced without you realising it. If you can feel the strings then it should be fine but I would have it checked anyway. You can go to this site, it has info on the mirena, just take out the spaces. (I had to put them in else the forum wont accept it)

w w w . f e m a l e l i f e . c o . z a

Reply to Belle