Question
Posted by: worried | 2008/02/05

Mirena and pregnancy

What is the chances of me being pregnant although I've got a mirena? I've had it for 2 years now and it's definitely still in because I can still feel the strings but I think I might be pregnant, How would I know? What would be the signs since my period stopped 2 years ago along with the insertion of the mirena. I know it may sound crazy but I think I might be pregnant because I'm a very skinny persn but lately I've been gaining weight on my lower abdomen. thighs and hips. Last night when I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror I could swear it looks like I'm pregnant. Sorry I know it sounds silly but I'm really concerned, I have not changed my diet or exercising routines so I can't think of any other reason for this. Thank you for your advice in this regard

Hi Worried
It would be very rare to fall pregnant with a Mirena as it works in two ways – causing the womb to be unsuitable to sustain a pregnancy and prevents fertilization. Do a home pregnancy test although it is unlikely to be the cause of the swollen abdomen. You may need to see your GP as you may have an ovarian cyst or a uterine growth or something and a sonar may be needed.