Question
Posted by: Tam | 2007/12/19

Mirena

Hi there,

I am in my 20's, am getting married early next year and have not had a child. I went to a gynae (recommened by by GP) with regards to having a Mirena fitted. He suggested that I have it done via a General aneathetic in hospital/ Apparently it is too sore to have done if you haven't had a child. He siad the proceadure will only take about 5mins and then they will keep me about an hour for observation.

Is this ok? Am I going overboard? I desperately don't want a preganancy and I am infamous for forgetting my pill....

Please put my mind at ease.....

The Mirena is thicker than an ordinary IUCD, so it is probably a good idea to have a general anaesthetic. This is done quite commonly.